The Department of Water Management is in the process of upgrading the infrastructure throughout the city limits by installing new water mains to replace deteriorating pipes in order to prevent frequent breaks and leaks. The project involves the installation of the new ductile iron water pipe with necessary connections to the existing mains. This work includes any gate valves, wedge valves, tee connections, bends and all service connections necessary to be replaced. The water mains to be replaced will be abandoned in place. The project includes the installation of new fire hydrants.
- Order materials for delivery to project jobsite and verify utility readiness in advance of construction.
- Verify feasibility of new pipe alignment and if necessary, establish the new alignment.
- Determine and mark out test-hole locations to verify no conflicts with proposed alignment.
- Maintain project files, including Daily Work Report, Daily Cost Report, and Property Incident Report.
- Coordinate technical issues with Area Engineer and Design Section.
- Report on Pressure Test success.
- Coordinate and arrange for chlorination and sampling with Water Quality department.
- Informing schools, hospitals, and businesses about water shut down.
- Monitor safety, quality, and efficiency of work and advise foreman with recommendations.
- Complete “As-built” Drawings upon completion of each project.
- Coordinate with restoration engineer for street restoration and sign agreement for estimation of cost of work.