The City Colleges of Chicago’s New Malcolm X College Campus is a new construction project that will feature 544,000 square feet, capacity for 20,000 students, health science classrooms, a virtual hospital, general education and adult education classrooms, student services and athletics facilities, a conference facility, an auditorium and a separate parking garage structure.
Since September of 2012, Ardmore has been providing project management services as sub-consultant to Jacobs Engineering Group, the Construction Advisor for the Malcolm X College project. To date, Ardmore has completed the tasks and responsibilities outlined below:
Project Delivery Method:
- Conducted research on project delivery methods for capital construction projects in greater Chicago area.
- Prepared and presented to Jacobs project delivery methods, benefits and consequenes of each.
- Assisted Owner’s Representative in preparing project delivery recommendation for the City Colleges Malcolm X staff.
RFQ’s and RFP’s
- Conducted market survey of potential Construction Managers and Design-Builders bidders in the area.
- Prepared and distributed Requests for Qualifications (RFQ) and Requests for Proposals (RFP) for Architect of Record and General Construction Contractor.
- Assisted Jacobs in evaluating responses.
- Prepared final recommendations to City Colleges.
Technical Review and Advice
- Reviewed and commented on 50% DD and 100% DD packages.
- Reviewed and commented on Site Preparation/Civil Construction Documents and Permit Set.
- Reviewed and provided written report on 50% and 90% CD packages.
- Recommended value enhancement measures and budget reconciliation measures as required.
- Confirmed and enforced scope, budget and schedule conformance and compliance of 100% Construction Document Set.
Bidding and Contract Award
- Assisted Jacobs reviewing and evaluating subcontractor bids.
- Assisted Jacobs in facilitating Site Preparation contract award.
- Assisted Jacobs in facilitating Building & Garage general contract awards.
In addition to the above, Ardmore provided, upon request, a complete detailed estimate of the reinforcing steel in poured-in-place concrete structural elements for the 100% Design Development Set and the 100% Construction Documents for both the main building and the parking garage along with tabulated and narrative comparisons of our findings. During construction, which commenced in December of 2013, Ardmore will be providing on-site project management services and engineering support to the Construction Advisor. Scheduled finish date for construction is January 2016.